I bought various plots of land in England between 2008-2011, which are registered at the Land Registry.The company I bought them from did not pay the VAT on the land and they since have gone into receivership . As I intend to sell these plots of land as I have been made an offer on them by a another company.
1. Am I due the VAT on the plots as I sell them on?
2. Am I due Stamp duty on the land?
3. Can this be paid from the Funds coming back to me on the sale of the land or does it have to be paid up front, which is what I am being told?
4.Any other considerations/problem I should look at?
1 & 3 . The sale of land is exempt from VAT. However some sellers may choose to “opt to tax” the land and charge standard-rate VAT on the sale if they want recover the VAT incurred on the purchase or development of the land or on professional services associated with the sale.
2. Stamp duty is paid by the purchaser.
4. If the land has gained in value, you may need to pay capital gains tax.