EU VAT registration & import under £135

Forum Categories VAT ADMINISTRATION ISSUES EU VAT registration & import under £135

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
  • #55743


    Occasionally we provide supplies  ( installation and service of machines) to Republic of Ireland & Romania and sell goods to both countries. Do we need to register for VAT in Romania and Republic of Ireland?

    We received goods from Germany value under £135 so VAT should be charged at the point of sale. However, when I checked Invoice VAT has not been charged, does it need to be declared on the VAT return under the reverse charge mechanism?

    Thank you.

    Trevor S

    Services supplied the to Republic of Ireland / Romania

    You need to determine the “place of supply” of the services. If the machines are a “fixture of the property that cannot be easily dismantled or moved”, the place of supply is where they are located (see section 7.4 of HMRC’s notice 749A). If the machines don’t meet this criteria, the general place of supply rules apply – which for B2B transactions are where the customer is located. So (assuming that your customers are all businesses) either way the services will be provided outside of the UK. They won’t be subject to UK VAT, and your customer will need to apply the reverse charge.

    Selling goods to those countries

    If you’re only considering the parts that you use in the process of installing / servicing the machines, they count as part of your supply of services rather than separate supplies of goods and are treated as above.

    However if these goods are separate to the installation / servicing, you need to consider where they are at the time of sale. If they’re in the UK, you are making an export – you won’t charge UK VAT and import VAT will be due when the goods arrive in the foreign country. But if the goods are already abroad at the time of sale, you are making a supply of goods in that country and would need to register for VAT there.

    Goods from Germany

    The following HMRC guidance applies:

    For consignments under £135, assuming that the goods were outside the UK at the point of sale and you have provided the supplier with your VAT registration number, you can account for UK VAT using the reverse charge.


    Hello Trevor,

    Thank you so much for the advice. This is extremely useful. I really appreciate your help.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.